Mar 16, 2008
Authors, "Border Echoes" film take up femicides
Copyright (C) 2007, 2008, Peace without Borders, Peace Books
Three women's bodies were among the 36 bodies unearthed from clandestine graves in Juarez. (Photo by PGR.)
Events this week
- Stella Pope Duarte, Arizona author of the recently published novel "If I Die in Juárez.,"
1-3 p.m., reception and book signing, El Paso Community College Valle Verde Campus, 919 Hunter, Student Union bookstore.
- Pope Duarte, 7 p.m. reading performance at the YWCA Transitional Living Center.
- Stella Pope Duarte, noon - 2 p.m., reception and book signing, El Paso Community College Valle Verde Campus, 919 Hunter, Student Union bookstore.
- "Border Echoes/Ecos de Una Frontera," documentary at 5:30 p.m., about the Juarez women's murders, produced by Lorena Mendez-Quiroga, based on author-journalist Diana Washington Valdez's investigation; Little Temple, 906 N. El Paso at the EPCC Rio Grande Campus.
- Panel at 7:30 p.m., with Diana Washington Valdez, author of "The Killing Fields: Harvest of Women," and Stella Pope Duarte, author of the novel "If I die in Juarez," 906 N. El Paso.
- "Decision Point" 7:30 p.m. talk program on KSCE TV (Channel 38/Cable 16) with Pastors Michael and Mrs. Moore concerning the Juarez killing fields; guest tonight is author Diana Washington Valdez.
(Compiled by Kelly McKenzie)